Acidity? Here is all you need to know
Acidity is generally caused by an imbalance between the mechanism for secretion of acid in the stomach and the protective mechanism that ensures the stomach’s safety. The stomach secretes acidic fluid that helps in digestion. But when the secretion of acid exceeds the normal level, it results in a situation termed as acidity.
- Inefficient digestive system
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Empty stomach for a long time / skipping breakfast
- Eating foods rich in fats like chocolates
- Eating junk foods, oily and spicy foods
- Excessive exposure to sun and heat
- Aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Incompatibility of food
- Excess acid secretion
- Excessive smoking
- Gastro duodenal (peptic) ulcer
- Hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid
- Reflux of gastric acid
- Negative emotions
- Weakness of the valves
- Chest pain
- Dyspepsia Belching
- Pain in the ears
- Inflammation in chest
- Respiratory problems
- Gastro-esophageal reflux
- Voice change and formation of ulcer in esophagus (tube connecting mouth and stomach)
- Pain during muscular contractions
- Burning sensation or pain in the stomach after one to four hours of a meal
- Feel hungry frequently
- Constant pain in upper abdomen
- Bitter taste in mouth Loss of appetite
Foods to Avoid
♦ Alcohol ♦ Cabbage ♦ Fried food ♦ Non-veg diets ♦ Onion ♦ Pepper ♦ Pickles ♦ Radish ♦ Smoking ♦ Spicy, salty and acidic food ♦ Steroidal drugs
Foods to Eat
☻ Amaranth ☻ Apple ☻ Asparagus ☻ Banana ☻ Brazil nuts ☻ Fresh coconut ☻ Fresh peas ☻ Fresh vegetable juices ☻ Garlic ☻Green beans Buckwheat ☻ Carrots ☻ Celery ☻Chestnuts ☻ Millet ☻Parsley ☻Sprouted Beans and seeds ☻ Watermelon
◊ Drinking 3 tbsp white onion juice with 1 tbsp sugar and ½ cup curd helps to reduce acidity.
◊ Eating pineapple with sugar and pepper powder also reduces acidity.
◊ Consuming 1 tsp Indian gooseberry (amla) juice mixed with 11 gms of soaked and crushed blackcurrant and ½ a tsp honey also helps to reduce acidity.
◊ Drinking chilled ¼ cup milk with ½ cup water relieves acidity.
◊ Consumption of chutney made with dry mangosteen, cardamom and sugar gives relief from acidity.
◊ Drinking ½ ltr of water mixed with ½ a tsp of sugar and juice of 1 lemon, ½ an hour before lunch, also reduces acidity.
◊ Eating a tsp of coriander powder mixed with ½ a tsp of sugar after meals also relieves you of acidity.
◊ Drinking carrot juice also works wonders in curing acidity.
◊ Mix powder of 4-5 pepper corns slowly roasted in ghee with 100 ml of milk and a little sugar and then drink it to reduce acidity.
◊ Consume 5-6 basil leaves with 1 cup curd or a glass of buttermilk to reduce acidity.
◊ Coriander powder and dry ginger powder mixed in equal quantities, and taking a teaspoon of this mixture reduces acidity.