Webel-Fujisoft-Vara Centre of Excellence (CoE) to provide training in emerging technologies to youth in West Bengal
~ Collaborating with one of the world’s leading 3D equipment manufacturing companies, Stratasys and Dassault Systemes the Centre of Excellence is poised to fill-up the need-gap of professionals trained in 3D production and design ~
As a precursor to the Bengal Global Business Summit 2022, which will feature Education, Information Technology/ Information Technology enabled services (IT/ITes) and Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) as three of the nine focused sectors, Webel Fujisoft Vara Centre of Excellence: Industry 4.0 (CoE), an initiative of the Government of West Bengal which has been set up by the Department of IT& Electronics, through its nodal agency Webel, as well as the MSME Directorate, West Bengal has distinctly expressed its purpose to provide:
- Training in the areas of emerging technologies so as to build a talent pool,
- Technology services to industry
- Advisory Services to MSME sector on new technologies so that the sector can upskill itself to harness the full scope of the technologies of Industry 4.0.
This ground-breaking project aims to create significant social impact through harnessing the power of emerging technologies. Key focus areas of the CoE are to radically transform skill development as well as provide Corporates start-ups and MSME Sector access to technology that can boost productivity, product quality as well foster innovation.
The CoE is a state-of-the-art facility in Kolkata developed by Fujisoft Vara Private Limited, a joint venture between Fujisoft Inc., Japan and Vara Technology, India. It is one of India’s first platforms that harnesses the full scope of the technologies of Industry 4.0, namely, Data Science, Cybersecurity, Embedded Systems/ IoT, and Additive Manufacturing – all under one roof.
The CoE has collaborated with one of the world’s leading 3D equipment manufacturing companies, Stratasys, to set up a state-of-the-art 3D Printing lab with 7 industrial grade machines – the first of its kind in the Eastern part of the country. It offers services in 3D consulting, design, and printing services to corporates and MSMEs to transform their ideas into quick reality.
There has been an increase in demand for 3D Printing services which will in turn is expected to lead to a sharp increase in demand for professionals trained in skills related to 3D production and design. 3D printing has enormous potential for young engineering graduates and design students. 3D Printing will soon become an essential part of prototyping, design, and production in most manufacturing sectors and thus this would be the most opportune time to develop skill and expertise in this technology in order to be well-placed as the demand for professionals scales up day -by -day. 3D Printing in India is being used by various industries including automotive, consumer products, aerospace and defense, healthcare, industrial production, among others. The increasing penetration of 3D Printing across different sectors will propel its growth forward.
The CoE offers a variety of courses to train young graduate engineers and professionals in all aspects of additive manufacturing (also known as 3D Printing) as well as design. With certification from Stratasys and Dassault Systemes, the courses in the CoE equip students with industry validated certification and the skill set that is most relevant and in-demand.
Commenting on the scope of Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing) in India, Mr. Takuji Hasui, General Manager, Global Business Division, Fujisoft Inc. Japan said, “As a Japanese Company we are immensely proud to be a part of a project that delivers specialized technological skill development in West Bengal and also brings emerging technologies of Industry 4.0 to the State. We thank the Department of IT&E, West Bengal Govt. for this opportunity and we look forward to working in partnership to create true social and economic impact.”
The objective of CoE is to impart high quality education on emerging technologies to students, working professionals and new age entrepreneurs to upscale their competitiveness and develop highly skilled industry-ready professionals and technopreneurs. It has tied-up with several global organizations and leading technology companies – both to provide the infrastructure, hardware, and software as well as academic support and certification. Some of the companies in collaboration include Intel, nVidia, Dassault Systemes, Stratasys, Trend Micro, Fortinet, IMI Israel, Think Cyber, Israel, Boston Training Academy and Boston IT Solutions to name a few.
ADVANTAGES OF ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING / 3D PRINTING
- High speed production: 3D printers can work round the clock with almost no manual input. Production time can be drastically reduced as compared to traditional manufacturing. 3D printing also allows for faster iterations and modifications to prototypes and/or parts.
- Cost –efficiency: 3D printing allows for manufacture of only those products that are needed, eliminating cost of storage through production on demand
- Wide range of materials: A wide range of materials can be used, suited to different types of products. New materials are being developed which have new mechanical properties. These include polymers, composites, metals and ceramics.
- New levels of Customization: The ability to produce complex geometries also provides for entirely new level of customization. 3D printing allows for made-to-measure products for a range of items including food, fashion, high performance gear, shoes, and 3D printed models of body organs, among others
- Efficiency in providing spare parts: 3D printing allows for easy and unlimited access to spare parts. This can allow for improved after-sales service. The ability to supply new parts to replace those that have gone out of normal production may also extend the lifetime of the machine
- Reduced risk: Because of the ability to do rapid iterations, there is reduced risk of losses due to errors.
- Environment-friendly: Additive Manufacturing methods cause less wastage of material. Some materials are recyclable, and manufacturers are constantly working on developing new materials that have reduced environmental impact
The CoE provides a complete ecosystem for developing talent. The courses entail case-studies, real time projects as well as Capstone Projects, brought by the corporates. The CoE offers highly specialized training to fresh graduates and working professionals, who want to learn new technologies to enhance their employability or reboot their skills to give a fresh start to their careers, either as employees or as entrepreneurs. The CoE courses are industry certified in order to ensure they are meeting the requirements of the market and enhancing employability. Training is offered in various formats, which includes on-premises and online courses. The CoE offers courses of varying lengths. People who graduate from the Certificate Programmes also undergo sessions on problem solving, decision making, negotiations skills, communication and presentation skills, understanding finance and basics of project management as well as workplace ethics.
Mr. Vishal Arora, CEO, Vara Technology commented, “As a Company that specializes in niche Industry 4.0 technologies such as Cybersecurity and Blockchain we recognize the importance of skill creation in these areas, as demand far out-strips supply and there is genuine need for talent. We are extremely happy to participate with our Japanese Partner Fujisoft Inc. and the West Bengal Government in this initiative to deliver training in technologies of Industry 4.0 and bring cutting edge 3D Manufacturing solutions to Industry and the State of West Bengal.”
The CoE has the best-in-class infrastructure in multiple technologies with the latest hardware, software, training modules, best in the class faculty members, Industry collaboration, hands-on-training, funding opportunities for startups to truly make it the Innovation hub of India.
Dr. Rashmi Sharma, Head, Webel Fujisoft Vara Centre of Excellence: Industry 4.0 said, “The Webel Fujisoft Vara Centre of Excellence is a truly innovative and ground-breaking initiative of the West Bengal Government. The CoE offers youth in West Bengal opportunities to develop in-demand specialized skills and brings new technologies to MSMEs and Industry to meet their immediate and future requirements.”