Machboos al dijaj (Lebanese Chicken Pilaf)
|Basmati Rice||1 kg|
|Chicken (curry cut)||1 kg|
|Onions (sliced)||500 grms|
|Tomatoes (sliced)||300 grms|
|Mint Leaves||half bunch|
|Coriander leaves||half bunch|
|Cashew nuts||50 grms|
|Olive oil||100 ml|
|Cinnamon Powder||2 Tblsp|
|Roasted Cumin powder||2 Tblsp|
|Paprika powder||2 Tblsp|
Method of Preparation –
- Use a heavy bottom pan for the Process.
- Add Ghee about 2 to 3 Tblsp, once hot add whole spices, once the aroma is released add sliced onions and cook until translucent.
- Add in all the Spice mix and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and sear the meat well. And reserve for later process.
- Immediately add the rice on top, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients together, and then add hot water at a 1:2 ratio. Bring the water to a boil until the rice is cooked about 80%, then reduces the heat to low, cover the pot and allows the rice 15 minutes to cook at the lowest temperature.
- Once the rice fully cooked, turn the heat off, but don’t uncover the pot. You’ll want to leave the rice undisturbed for 5 minutes to allow the steam to finish cooking the rice. Then you can uncover the pot and fluff with a fork or a flat spatula.
- Grill the reserved Chicken and top it on the cooked rice and serve hot.
Note: The dish can be topped with assorted Nuts which are fried in Ghee.
By Chef Jagadish Purushothama